Out Of The Archives:
Potsdam’s Little Amsterdam

potsdam7

The Holländisches Viertel – Dutch Quarter – in Potsdam is unique in that it was not only built to house Dutch craftsmen, it was also built in the Dutch style for the sole purpose of making them feel comfortable while living there. The four square block neighborhood of red-brick, gabled houses was built between 1734 to 1742 by King Frederick Wilhelm I. The director of the construction on the buildings was Dutch master-builder, Johann Boumann.

The Dutch who moved here provided their skills as goldsmiths, cabinet makers, and masons.

While wandering the streets, the street level viewing will bring all of the typical touristy delights one might think to find in such a neighborhood – food, crafts, flowers, coffeehouses, and biergartens. The more interesting detail to look at here is the architecture. How the roof lines cut the sky. The red of the brick. The shutters on the windows. The old wooden doors. The symmetry.

While there are no canals, such as there are in Amsterdam, running through the neighborhood, Potsdam is surrounded by water. The Jan Bouman Museum can be found at Mittelstrasse 9 and besides showing off its original construction it also has a lot of information on the building of the quarter.

Out Of The Archives:
The “New” Addition Of The Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtnis-Kirche

berlinkaiser8

The new church of Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtnis-Kirche was designed by Egon Eiermann and incorporates the remaining ruins of the original Protestant structure that was bombed during The Second World War, during an air raid in 1943. The “new” church isn’t exactly new, it’s just newer than the original church which was built in the 1890s.

The foundation stone for the new church was laid on May 9, 1959 and the church was consecrated on December 17, 1961. Even if you are not a Christian or have no interest in churches, this one is a beautiful one to sit in. The overwhelming blue of the light coming through windows is quite peaceful.

Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtnis-Kirche
Breitscheidplatz, Charlottenburg
10789 Berlin
Hours: Open daily 9am – 7pm